'You are so lazy' & 'You are so skinny'

I hate these four words. These four dreaded words can wind me up so quickly and easily. 

Telling a person with a chronic illness and who has chronic fatigue, 'You're so lazy' and 'You're so skinny', is very insulting! 

It's like telling someone who suffers from obesity and cannot do anything about it 'You're so fat'. You just wouldn't because you know it's rude and offensive. 

Do you think people with a chronic illness, choose to be ill and battling weight issues? 
Do you think people with chronic fatigue, chose to be tired all the time? 

Why is it okay to ask or tell a petite/small about their weight? You wouldn't do it to a larger person. 
Automatically when you say the word skinny to me I think: unattractive, scrawny, bones, ill, disgusting, stick thin & ugly. 
This is not me being paranoid. Nearly everyone in the same position as me, ill or not, hates to be called skinny. It is far from a compliment. It's degrading. 

I do not have any choice over my weight, I am an ill person and I also have an extremely high metabolism, so even if I try to put on weight (and trust me I do), I just can't. I have had confidence issues for so long, I finally got to a place where I could be happy with my body and all it took was that one comment calling me skinny, and I was back to square one again. 

I also have no choice over how fatigued and lifeless I am, it is a part of my condition which takes over my life and I hate it. I do so much to try and boost my energy but I just can't help it. I am also anaemic, which doesn't help, I tire very easily. Especially having to drag the bottom half of my body around on crutches, that takes a lot of energy! My medication is also really strong and it can take it out of me, I need to sleep a lot to be able to function properly after taking my tablets. I become drowsy, tired and extremely fatigued. Being called lazy is hurtful and insulting. 

So please, if you have read this, just think again before commenting on people's weight and lifestyle. Especially if you know they are ill! 

And please stop using the word skinny! Type Skinny into google and this is what you will find. 
Still think 'Skinny' is a compliment? 



I am sorry for this being such a serious post, but this is something I feel very strongly about and the topic had to be raised! 

Popular Posts