Getting Sick When You Are Chronically Ill

For most people getting ill or catching the flu or common cold can be annoying and possibly put you out for a day or so, however 9/10 it can be easily fought off or you can carry on with work/normal life. This is so different when you are already chronically ill! 
This is all from my own experience and symptoms and feelings I have had, it may vary person to person and depending on the illness. 
Some of the symptoms of what you feel from have a common cold or flu would be:
- tiredness/fatigue and lack of energy
- muscle/body aches from doing nothing or smaller tasks can be more taxing
- headaches/migraines
- difficulty sleeping
- loss of appetite
- joint pain
- stomach aches
- sudden fever/chills
All of the above symptoms from a 'normal/healthy' person catching a cold is what a person with a chronic illness feels everyday. When you are laid up in bed exhausted, in pain and do not what to get out of bed, that is my everyday. I find using this as the best explanation of what my everyday is like, so imagine how you feel when you are ill most of them symptoms are felt everyday by someone who is chronically ill. 
Now you understand what's it can be like when you are ill, so imagine all those symptoms being amplified 100%, it can become really dangerous, dehydration, exhaustion alone can put someone in hospital. This is what happens when someone who is chronically ill gets 'sick'. Every symptom we experience is amplified to potentially life threatening levels, plus having extra symptoms that we may not have (blocked sinuses, chesty coughs etc). There have been many times I have ended up in A&E and been put on a drip for dehydration and exhaustion to something as simply as a cold and I know people who have battled for their lives over catching a simple virus because they are chronically ill. 
Getting sick when you are already living ill is not only dangerous but so draining for us, everyday is a constant battle and to be knocked down it's hard to get up again. For most of us our immune systems are awful anyway so we will catch the smallest of colds going round and most definitely bigger viruses and we don't have to be in close contact with people who have them, simply crossing paths or being in the same place can be enough to catch any virus/flu. 
It is really important to take extra precautions to not put yourself in a situation where you will be with someone who is sick. I know this cannot be avoided all the time, going out you don't necessarily have that control, but going out with people who you know are sick or to houses/parties etc. 
It is also really important to stay away from someone with a chronic illness if you are ill. Even if you feel fine but have symptoms of a cold/illness it is best to stay away until all symptoms have cleared as you can still pass viruses on. 
I think people forget these things or don't thing it will passed on if they don't come into physical contact with the person, or just simply do not realise the implications and impact it can have on that person if they are chronically ill. So please keep this in mind the next time you are ill! 
Please share this to help spread awareness as I don't think this is something a lot of people may be aware of or how serious it can be. 
I'm currently ill at the moment and the past week has been so difficult for me, I really want others to understand what it is like and how just because we have a cold/virus doesn't mean we get it the same way as everyone else. I haven't eaten a main meal in 5 days, in fact I haven't eaten any meals just small snacks (fruit/yoghurt) when I can manage it. I have needed help showering and changing, most days I haven't moved from my bed and even drinking a small glass of water can be a task! I need to keep a very close eye on my weight as loosing anymore will end up being a long stay in hospital and I must try to stay as hydrated as possible. 
For anyone who does get ill, resting and stayed hydrated is the most important thing! 
I hope this has/will helped some people to understand what it is like and how important it is to be careful around someone who is chronically ill. 
Thank you for taking the time to read! 
Lottie ðŸ˜Š
Xx

Popular Posts