What To Expect Third Trimester | Up to week 34 - Personal Experience
So the Third Trimester starts at week 28
Coming into the third trimester, I was very excited as this was the last stretch of the pregnancy, it was the time to make final preparations and get everything in order for the arrival of my baby.
For me the start of the third trimester was scary, as this is when you are told that your baby could make an appearance at anytime.
At the end of the 28th week, I had been getting quite a few contractions, however put them down to braxton hicks (kind of like practice contractions for your body to prepare for labour). I had been experiencing them for a few days and come the Friday, something just wasn't feeling right. I had been getting very light spotting (pink) and I just hadn't felt my baby move a lot. I called the triage team and they suggested I come in to get checked. Everything seemed fine until I had an internal examination, where there was suddenly blood everywhere and I was being rushed into labour and delivery, followed by a team of doctors. I was examined again where the bleeding had stopped and an ultrasound which showed my baby was head down and perfectly healthy. What they suspected had happened was a membrane had ruptured or I was tearing due to the stretching of my belly. Something that I later found out is extremely common, however must always be checked at the hospital.
It was from that day on that the rest of the weeks became more difficult for me. I was experiencing a lot more contractions, stretching and round ligament pain. I was using hot water bottles everyday and finding it extremely hard to get comfortable. However despite these things, I was still enjoying every minute and feeling my baby get stronger and bigger everyday. For me, these pains weren't bad at all, as I live with chronic pain and various conditions day to day anyway, however I know a lot of people can find them extremely uncomfortable and seek advice on pain relief.
I had noticed at around week 30, that my morning sickness returned for a few days on and off. This is apparently is also very common, especially if you suffered badly in the first trimester, as I did.
I was beginning to get a lot more fatigued, having terrifying lucid dream and constantly eating ice! I was hot all the time and tired quickly from things.
With my condition at around 32 weeks, the pressure on my hips became too much, I was in a lot of pain and worried about the implications to the baby, from the distress my body was in. I saw my consultant and after a scan and tests on baby, I was given the go ahead for an early induction 34+4 days. Although the would be premature, this was a much safer option for both baby and I and highly reduced risks of complications.
A pregnancy pillow and wedge were essential, plus a constant supply of ice, heat pads, leggings, t-shirts and comfy clothes! Sitting up leaning over a few pillows helped alleviate any stretching pains (laying down makes them so much worse!) and gently massaging the painful areas.
This became my 'slob' trimester, I lived in pyjamas, I even went round peoples houses in my pyjamas. I could not be bothered to wash my hair, showering became a task, shaving my legs was impossible and the couch was the comfiest place!
Use this trimester to relax as you won't be up for doing too much, nor should you be doing any heaving lifting, causing any physical strain or stress or exhausting yourself. These are your last few weeks to get as much me time in as possible!
Coming into the third trimester, I was very excited as this was the last stretch of the pregnancy, it was the time to make final preparations and get everything in order for the arrival of my baby.
For me the start of the third trimester was scary, as this is when you are told that your baby could make an appearance at anytime.
At the end of the 28th week, I had been getting quite a few contractions, however put them down to braxton hicks (kind of like practice contractions for your body to prepare for labour). I had been experiencing them for a few days and come the Friday, something just wasn't feeling right. I had been getting very light spotting (pink) and I just hadn't felt my baby move a lot. I called the triage team and they suggested I come in to get checked. Everything seemed fine until I had an internal examination, where there was suddenly blood everywhere and I was being rushed into labour and delivery, followed by a team of doctors. I was examined again where the bleeding had stopped and an ultrasound which showed my baby was head down and perfectly healthy. What they suspected had happened was a membrane had ruptured or I was tearing due to the stretching of my belly. Something that I later found out is extremely common, however must always be checked at the hospital.
It was from that day on that the rest of the weeks became more difficult for me. I was experiencing a lot more contractions, stretching and round ligament pain. I was using hot water bottles everyday and finding it extremely hard to get comfortable. However despite these things, I was still enjoying every minute and feeling my baby get stronger and bigger everyday. For me, these pains weren't bad at all, as I live with chronic pain and various conditions day to day anyway, however I know a lot of people can find them extremely uncomfortable and seek advice on pain relief.
I had noticed at around week 30, that my morning sickness returned for a few days on and off. This is apparently is also very common, especially if you suffered badly in the first trimester, as I did.
I was beginning to get a lot more fatigued, having terrifying lucid dream and constantly eating ice! I was hot all the time and tired quickly from things.
With my condition at around 32 weeks, the pressure on my hips became too much, I was in a lot of pain and worried about the implications to the baby, from the distress my body was in. I saw my consultant and after a scan and tests on baby, I was given the go ahead for an early induction 34+4 days. Although the would be premature, this was a much safer option for both baby and I and highly reduced risks of complications.
A pregnancy pillow and wedge were essential, plus a constant supply of ice, heat pads, leggings, t-shirts and comfy clothes! Sitting up leaning over a few pillows helped alleviate any stretching pains (laying down makes them so much worse!) and gently massaging the painful areas.
This became my 'slob' trimester, I lived in pyjamas, I even went round peoples houses in my pyjamas. I could not be bothered to wash my hair, showering became a task, shaving my legs was impossible and the couch was the comfiest place!
Use this trimester to relax as you won't be up for doing too much, nor should you be doing any heaving lifting, causing any physical strain or stress or exhausting yourself. These are your last few weeks to get as much me time in as possible!
