Quickie Helium Wheelchair
3 months ago I was fortunate enough to finally get my long awaited super lightweight fitted wheelchair. The process to getting my chair was a lengthy one and being pointed in the right direction didn't come easy! So I want to share with you how I went about applying for my wheelchair, choosing the right one and purchasing it.
Firstly you need to check who provides your local wheelchair services in your borough, in Hillingdon, mine is HWCS - Hillingdon Wheelchair Services based in Hayes. In order to get a referral to them you will need to go through your GP or you can make a self referral (not sure if this applies to all boroughs). To make a self referral you will need to print off a form from the following webpage, fill it out as detailed as possible and post to the address provided. Link to referral forms
Those eligible to use the services will need:
- to be registered with a Hillingdon (local borough) GP
- People with a permanent disability affecting mobility lasting a year or more, people whose walking is severely restricted and those who will use the chair regularly
Once your referral has been made you will be called in for an assessment (usually within a month of referral) where you will be checked to see what type of chair you are eligible to receive and to talk about what your specific needs are. After that it is all paperwork to be completed by WCS to apply for the funding of the chair and eligibility. There are two types of options for funding, a voucher scheme where you are given an elected amount to put towards the purchase a chair of your choice, or you select a chair through the services and the provide it for you.
I went for the voucher scheme as the chair I wanted was more expensive than the voucher I was awarded. So I headed over to GBL Wheelchairs for a fitting of my chair and to test them out and see what I wanted from my chair. It is all personal preference and the chairs are made to fit specifically for yourself, so me giving you all the details of what I ordered it rather pointless as it won't be the same for anyone else. The make of the chair I ordered is the Quickie Helium Wheelchair with integrated carbon fibre and a fixed frame. It is a super lightweight chair which is exactly what I needed and wanted most from a chair.
All the staff that worked with me to getting my chair were amazing and I cannot thank them enough for the smooth and efficient process of getting my chair, however there are two people I would like to thank the most to getting my chair and that is my Mum and Dad.
Without them I would never of even been able to get the chair of my dreams, my Mum supported me the whole way through all my appointments and paper work that needed to be dealt with and my Dad worked very, very hard and sacrificed things to be able to pay the additional money needed for my chair.
Since getting my chair, a whole new door to life has opened up, I have started to be more independent again, my legs aren't under so much pressure, therefore there has been a decrease in hip and knee dislocations. My confidence has grown so much, I am not embarrassed anymore and now I am in my own customised wheelchair, I don't feel I need to justify myself to anyone anymore. No more questions 'oh what have you done?' and no more funny looks for being in a hospital chair 24/7. My invisible illness has been made that bit more visible and I couldn't be more happy.
I finally feel like I am getting back to myself again and although my former self could never imagine life in a wheelchair, I can't see a 'normal' life without one now. This is my 'normal' and I feel blessed to still be able to do so many awesome things :)
Lottie
xxxx
Firstly you need to check who provides your local wheelchair services in your borough, in Hillingdon, mine is HWCS - Hillingdon Wheelchair Services based in Hayes. In order to get a referral to them you will need to go through your GP or you can make a self referral (not sure if this applies to all boroughs). To make a self referral you will need to print off a form from the following webpage, fill it out as detailed as possible and post to the address provided. Link to referral forms
Those eligible to use the services will need:
- to be registered with a Hillingdon (local borough) GP
- People with a permanent disability affecting mobility lasting a year or more, people whose walking is severely restricted and those who will use the chair regularly
Once your referral has been made you will be called in for an assessment (usually within a month of referral) where you will be checked to see what type of chair you are eligible to receive and to talk about what your specific needs are. After that it is all paperwork to be completed by WCS to apply for the funding of the chair and eligibility. There are two types of options for funding, a voucher scheme where you are given an elected amount to put towards the purchase a chair of your choice, or you select a chair through the services and the provide it for you.
I went for the voucher scheme as the chair I wanted was more expensive than the voucher I was awarded. So I headed over to GBL Wheelchairs for a fitting of my chair and to test them out and see what I wanted from my chair. It is all personal preference and the chairs are made to fit specifically for yourself, so me giving you all the details of what I ordered it rather pointless as it won't be the same for anyone else. The make of the chair I ordered is the Quickie Helium Wheelchair with integrated carbon fibre and a fixed frame. It is a super lightweight chair which is exactly what I needed and wanted most from a chair.
All the staff that worked with me to getting my chair were amazing and I cannot thank them enough for the smooth and efficient process of getting my chair, however there are two people I would like to thank the most to getting my chair and that is my Mum and Dad.
Without them I would never of even been able to get the chair of my dreams, my Mum supported me the whole way through all my appointments and paper work that needed to be dealt with and my Dad worked very, very hard and sacrificed things to be able to pay the additional money needed for my chair.
Since getting my chair, a whole new door to life has opened up, I have started to be more independent again, my legs aren't under so much pressure, therefore there has been a decrease in hip and knee dislocations. My confidence has grown so much, I am not embarrassed anymore and now I am in my own customised wheelchair, I don't feel I need to justify myself to anyone anymore. No more questions 'oh what have you done?' and no more funny looks for being in a hospital chair 24/7. My invisible illness has been made that bit more visible and I couldn't be more happy.
I finally feel like I am getting back to myself again and although my former self could never imagine life in a wheelchair, I can't see a 'normal' life without one now. This is my 'normal' and I feel blessed to still be able to do so many awesome things :)
Lottie
xxxx






